Tuesday 19 March 2013

Evaluation: Media technologies in Construction and Research, Planning and Evaluation stages


The blog format that was used throughout this practical task helped me to extensively construct my ideas and keep my planning extremely organised through the constant updating and posting on the blog. I found the blog an extreme support when creating ideas as it was somewhere that was a permanent place to keep them. Also the fact that the blogs were online also really helped in the planning stages in research when using the internet. The internet played a massive part in my primary planning process as it helped me to start to build up ideas and themes for my music video and my ancillary texts.         

 I was mainly inspired my images, which by using Google I found various images which encouraged influential ideas which were expressed to my group when creating our music video and also when choosing locations for my digipak and advert photos. By using Google as my aid in research, it helped me to become more decisive and exact in my ideas and as a result I was able to make good decisions in the filming process of my group’s music video and again in my digipak and advert. The internet also became a huge researching success when finding out about other artist and their brand identities. I was able to find out about digipaks and examples of artists album covers and magazine adverts promoting their music. Conjoined with this research I also gained a lot of knowledge through analysis of these key features. Being able to analyse them on my blog helped my an extreme amount when creating my own brand identity for my digipak and advert as I knew what specific forms and conventions my ancillary texts had to have to be successful.

Another Internet based technology which became the exact reason why I and my group were actually able to create our music video was through Email. We had decided on using an artist we were friendly with and had easy contact with through phones but this artist ended up being extremely unreliable and not bothered so we went on a hunt for another artist, as a group we knew about an artist that hadn’t quite reached famous levels with her music but was well known through YouTube. We were able to get hold of her managers email and therefore I emailed him asking whether it was possible we were able to use on of the artist songs to base our Media music video around. He replied to us in a very reasonable amount of time saying it was absolutely fine. This was a great turning point in our planning process as we were then able to get on with creating ideas and themes. Another technology which I felt was also another huge aid in this project was YouTube. It gave me chance to research and look at all sorts of different music videos and how they had been put together. It was also useful when searching for specific artists of a specific genre.

Photoshop was also another media technology which was enormously significant in regards to my ancillary texts. Once again I was able to use the Internet to help me express specific details in my digipak and advert such as the record label of my artist and also specifically for the advertisement of my artists music on my advert the use of iTunes for audience buying credibility. Aside from the images used to help reinforce my ancillary texts, Photoshop gave me an opportunity to create interesting and eye catching products that would reflect my artist and her brand I identity. Although I had used Photoshop once before I still wasn’t familiarised with it so therefore being able to properly understand how to use it and learn about specific tools and effects I felt really boosted the outcome of my ancillary texts as I was able to understand what worked and what didn’t on Photoshoped products. I learnt a lot through photoshop from the different layers to the effects such as contrast, opacity and also bevel and embossing things. These were specific things I used to enhance my digipak and advert. I used the contrast, brightness and colour vibrancy to bring out the quirky blue’s and greens on the front and back cover of my digipak, which was also carried though onto my advert and these effects were also used on the inside of my digipak enhancing the yellow’s and orange’s creating an autumnal effect which is represented in our music video. The bevel and emboss effect was very significant as it was something I learned how to use to help make my text become more 3D looking and to stand out on the product.


And lastly the use of the media technology of Final Cut Express. I had already been extremely familiar with Final Cut Express from last year’s project. This year we learnt how to lip sync our videos with Final Cut Express. This specific task I firstly didn’t entirely get to grips with so therefore I felt I wasn’t able to complete editing of the lip syncing in massive parts. But speaking with my group we understood that one group member felt she was very comfortable with how to do this process and agreed with me and our other group member that she would do bigger parts and me and my other group member would watch over and complete smaller parts to this task. This was also slightly the same with the editing part, although I was able to remember a lot more from last years project using Final Cut Express and was able to complete some editing tasks when either one or both group members were not in to do so.  I was slightly more creative than last year using Final Cut Express and learnt how to put in different effects and fades and dissolves into our piece which really enhanced the shots. I and my group also had a huge amount of footage so being able to cut clips with just one button made the whole process much more efficient and speedy.


No comments:

Post a Comment